What’s in my cell phone?
My mobile device is a Fairphone 2, the installed ROM is LineageOS with microG alternative implementation of Google Play services: https://lineage.microg.org/
Most of the installed applications are free softwares available on F-Droid (with the exception of Firefox Nightly which is updated by itself):
- I use the KISS launcher with beautiful XScreenSaver live wallpapers and Paper icons.
- I sometimes put in the background also things that I experiment on Shader Editor, which is really a good application to write pieces of GLSL on the go!
- I read my mail on K-9 Mail, which was easy to configure with my GPG key using OpenKeychain. My mails are not self-hosted but managed by the Gandi Mail service.
- I use DAVdroid to synchronize my personal CalDAV / CardDAV server (provided by Radicale) with the default contact and calendar applications. I also synchronize my tasks this way, I manage them with OpenTasks.
- I also have a Seafile client (to access some files from my self-hosted cloud storage) and another one for Weechat (to chat on IRC).
- I use Silence to encrypt SMS asymmetrically (this does not require any mobile data).
- I use Termux as a terminal emulator and AnySoftKeyboard as a keyboard (that’s highly customizable, and offer classic keyboard keys, such as Esc or Ctrl).
- I use Orbot to connect to the Tor network and use it as a VPN.
- I use Barcode Scanner to scan QRCode and other barcodes.
- I use OsmAnd when I have to find my way on foot or by bike (the offline mode is nice).
- I use Twidere to browse Twitter and SkyTube for non-free YouTube collaborative content.